Tuesday 24 September 2013

Miniature Project

Miniature project moodboard
Miniature Project Inspiration Moodboard 

For our second week we were given the miniature project where we had to design a collection in miniature. We looked at some designers who made miniature garments like Vionnet and Louise Gray who is a designer who teamed up with barbie. The first tricky bit for me was to just come up with a theme because I'm used to spending a good couple of weeks researching and getting inspiration. I thought of doing a seasons/fairies collection looking at spring,autumn and winter as well as the dainty, pretty look to bring in that fairy feel. The scale of my dresses were quite small, with my dresses being to bigger then 10cm. I knew what a paper pattern should look like so making that wasn't so hard.My first dress was based on spring, with the beading representing blossoms. The satin and organza fabrics I used were quite light and floaty. The A-line shape and bell sleeves are quite mystical looking which I really like. The autumn dress Is a one shoulder A-Line dress scrunched up halfway on the waistline. To create that autumn feel I manipulated the fabric to look like the autumn leaves. On a mannequin the shape would look clearer. My last dress was inspired by snow/water drops on spider webs. I created this pretty dainty dress using satin, organza and beads. The organza reflects the sparkly snow fall which looks very pretty and fairy like. I would have used blue beads but didn't have any so I used what I had, even still I think it works quite well. Overall I didn't particularly like working on a small scale, more so when I had to stitch everything together because it was very fiddly and I couldn't get strong stitches like on a sewing machine. If I were to do this on a larger scale I would find some techniques time consuming. It was an interesting project to do but I don't think I would choose to do it again. I don't think my dresses came out too bad considering the time frame of 3 days and difficulty in sewing on a small scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment